Lifewise is seeking bilingual (French & English) Peer Supporters to join our team. Lifewise is the only non-profit provincial organization created by and for individuals living with mental health and addictions issues. Our mission is to inspire hope for recovery and improve the quality of life for individuals living with mental health and addictions issues and their supporters.
Peer Supporters deliver front line services in peer support, public education and policy consultation in a variety of environments and modalities. Environments may include Lifewise offices, clinical offices/teams, hospitals, businesses, workplaces and community. Modalities may include in person, telephone and e-supports both one to one and in group settings.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for utilizing their own lived experiences in conjunction with the established guidelines of Peer Support, the Recovery Approach, Lifewise and other partnering organizations. This position also:
- Provides regular peer support within current and future programs
- Interacts with peers, professionals, and community partners to enhance awareness of the importance of peer support in the recovery journey (including committee involvement, public presentations, and relationship building)
- Participates in development and delivery of educational materials including wellness workshop, public education and group topic resource materials
- Offers support in coordinating individuals in a volunteer/intern capacity
- Maintains office space to reflect comfortable, professional image of the organization
- Compiles, maintains and reports on monthly and quarterly program statistics
- Attends regular program meetings in order to share pertinent information and maintain effective communication
- Offers support in analyzing trends in programs, identifying issues and developing and recommending solutions
- Remains informed on all areas of peer support and recovery
- Represents organization as required
- Performs other duties as required
Qualifications and Experience
- Personal lived experience with (and willingness to share) mental health/ addictions issues
- Bilingual (French & English)
- Minimum post-secondary completion in related field - equivalencies will be considered
- Experience working with and enjoyment from supporting others
- Hold valid Class 5 driver's license (unrestricted) with regular access to personal vehicle
Required Skills and Specifications
- Demonstrates empathetic, patient, non-judgmental and supportive personality
- Demonstrates a sound understanding of self-help, peer support and recovery
- Demonstrates commitment to high professional ethical standards
- Demonstrates ability to work independently and as a supportive member of a team
- Demonstrates a commitment to nurturing and contributing to the unique culture of the organization while helping to achieve the goals of our strategic plan
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and relational skills - ability to establish trusting relationships
- Demonstrates a commitment to role modelling a recovery lifestyle by sharing common experience and practical information
- Demonstrates an ability to respect other people's right to refuse help or resist change
- Demonstrates a high level of confidentiality and flexibility towards change
- Demonstrates effective strategies for maintaining own personal health
- Demonstrates strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to engage with a range of diverse populations, including individuals living with serious and persistent mental health and addictions issues.
With full-time and part-time positions, weekly hours may vary. Shifts occur 7 days a week, with majority of shifts occurring between 8:00am - 12:00 am. Flexibility in work hours is required to accommodate the fast-paced, flexible community environment.
The rate of pay for this position will be $24.49/hr. Lifewise offers a competitive health and dental package. All staff are offered a variety of training opportunities, including a professional Peer Support training program. We also offer a working environment that supports and fosters wellness. Our all-inclusive team approach is unique in that we honor and recognize mental health and addictions issues as an asset.
How to Apply
Email your cover letter and resume explaining how you meet the requirements to email@example.com Continuous recruitment is ongoing; we will reach out to candidates selected for interviews in several weeks. This job ad will remain posted until our hiring process is closed.